Am I entitled to unemployment benefit after returning to Switzerland from a non-EU/EFTA country?

“I am a Swiss expatriate who has been living in a non-EU/EFTA country for the last two years. What would be my rights with regard to unemployment benefit if I returned to Switzerland?”

People who have most recently been working in a non-EU/EFTA country can register at a regional employment centre (RAV) in their home municipality after returning to Switzerland.

They will be entitled to unemployment benefit (for up to 90 days) provided they can prove (with salary statements) that they have been in paid employment in a non-EU/EFTA country for at least 12 of the previous 24 months. In addition, they need to prove that they have worked for at least six months in Switzerland during that time. This is because, as of 2018, this standard two-year time frame must also comprise a six-month contribution period in Switzerland. In other words: in the 24 months preceding the date on which you apply for unemployment benefit, you need to have been in gainful employment in Switzerland in order to qualify.

Anyone who has worked for a Swiss-domiciled company and consequently made Swiss unemployment insurance contributions during their time abroad will be treated the same as anyone who works in Switzerland.


Further information:

The OSA’s Legal Service provides general legal information on Swiss law, particularly in areas which concern the Swiss Abroad. It does not provide information on foreign law or intervene in disputes between private parties.

Comments (2)
  • Edith Siegenthaler, Indonesien
    Edith Siegenthaler, Indonesien at 28.11.2019
    Gute detaillierte Info, aber wer weiss das:
    Weshalb besteht denn in einem solchen Fall nur Anspruch auf 90 Tage Arbeitslosenentschädigung?
    Wie verhält es sich, wenn ich, bis zu meinem 56. Lebensjahr immer 100% gearbeitet hatte und die letzten 4 Jahre in einem Drittstaat nicht mehr. Habe ich nach Rückkehr bei einer allfällig erfolglosen Jobsuche Anrecht auf Arbeitslosenentschädigung und wie lange?
    Show Translation
    • Chris Huber, Australien
      Chris Huber, Australien at 20.12.2019
      Nein, kein Anspruch. Hättest du auch nicht wenn du weiter in der Schweiz gelebt hättest
      Show Translation

Write new comment

Comments are approved within one to three days. The editorial team reserves the right not to publish discriminatory, racist, defamatory or inflammatory comments. Our detailed comment rules are available here.

Auslandschweizer Organisation
Alpenstrasse 26
3006 Bern, Schweiz

tel +41 31 356 61 10
fax +41 31 356 61 01