Information on the right to participate in votes and elections

The Swiss Abroad can participate in elections and referenda in Switzerland provided they are registered on an electoral roll in Switzerland. Swiss citizens are not automatically enrolled when they register with a consulate or embassy abroad. They must explicitly request the right to vote. Swiss abroad are usually registered on the electoral roll at the commune where they last resided in Switzerland. This enrolment must be renewed regularly – at least every four years – with the commune (not the representation abroad). This does not take place automatically. Some communes regularly ask their eligible voters abroad to do this, while others do not. The forms for enrolment and renewal can be found at:

Comments (0)

Write new comment

Comments are approved within one to three days. The editorial team reserves the right not to publish discriminatory, racist, defamatory or inflammatory comments. Our detailed comment rules are available here.

The Alps – as well as other mountain ranges – were first regarded as aesthetically appealing and “noble” during the course of the 18th century. Caspar...

Read more

The once gigantic fortifications in the Swiss Alps have been taken out of military use. But their legend lives on. ­The previously top secret bunkers...

Read more

They are highly talented, very determined and 15 to 18 years of age. And they all want just one thing – to win in the Prix de Lausanne. We look at why...

Read more

Switzerland is involved whenever history is made in outer space. This was most recently illustrated by the spectacular journey of the ­Rosetta space...

Read more

Auslandschweizer Organisation
Alpenstrasse 26
3006 Bern, Schweiz

tel +41 31 356 61 10
fax +41 31 356 61 01